Saturday, August 27, 2011

Columbia!

Today was my grad school orientation at Columbia College.  I have been looking forward to this day for quite some time.  Because I tend to be a planner, I was anxious to meet my fellow grad students, register for classes, and just generally get a sense of how this whole MFA thing was going to go.  I am really excited about the breadth of Columbia- it is a huge school with concentrations in things like music, dance, and theatre as well as the visual arts.  Coming from MassArt, which has 1,200 undergraduates compared to Columbia's 12,000, this school feels huge in the best possible way.  Meanwhile, my incoming graduate class only has 7 students.  So far, it seems like Columbia will offer both an intimate and focused graduate experience and also the resources that come with a larger, more diverse school.  So far, so good.  I had the opportunity to meet Kelli Connell and Myra Greene, two faculty members who I am very much looking forward to working with, as well as all of my fellow MFA students.

All of the excitement is really setting in.  I have been so focused on actually moving to Chicago and getting settled in that it's exciting to start to really think about school and what these next three years will be like.  I can't wait.



No comments:

Post a Comment