Sunday, August 28, 2011

Christian Marclay's "The Clock"

There has been a lot of buzz about Christian Marclay's critically-acclaimed film "The Clock" coming to the Museum of Fine Arts in Boston, MA.  It is scheduled to debut this September.  Originally, the MFA wanted to charge $200 a ticket for the debut screening, but according to this article in the Huffington Post, Marclay protested, saying, "it has always been my express wish that there should be no additional charge to view my work 'The Clock', over and above any general admission price to an institution or any other venue, nor should it be used in connection with the promotion, advertisement or sponsorship of any person or business. This is contractually agreed by all institutions who own and exhibit 'The Clock'. It is my intention that my work be made equally accessible to all."

While I acknowledge the massive expense museums face simply to function, I have to admit, I'm pretty thrilled to hear Marclay's response to this.  Makes me proud to share the title of MassArt alum with him.

An excerpt from the film is below: 


No comments:

Post a Comment