Tuesday, June 7, 2011

The last photo to come out of my darkroom


Me in my darkroom, photo by Eddy Pula


Well, it’s official.  I have printed in my darkroom for the last time and am beginning to pack for my upcoming move to Chicago to start the Photography MFA program at Columbia College Chicago.  I made a batch of new contact prints and one finished diptych in the last printing session, and now I’m starting the process of dismantling the darkroom. I have gone back and forth about how much of it I wanted to keep, but I have found a good home for it all.  I’m passing it along to a friend and fellow photographer so that it can have another life as a NYC home darkroom.  The thought of all of my equipment sitting around in a basement for the next 3 years makes me sad so I’m thrilled it’s going to be put to good use.  It is bittersweet to be dismantling the darkroom that I so lovingly put together 4 years ago.  It has served me well, allowed me to produce a great deal of work, and will be missed. 

This past weekend I was away photographing at the Philadelphia Trans Health Conference, which was fantastic.  I made twelve new portraits for Transcendence and also got to spend time with friends from around the country and make new ones.  When I got home on Sunday, my friend and fellow MassArt grad Eddy Pula came over to my house and made this photo of me, the last photo to come out of my darkroom.  I’m quite fond of it.  Thanks Eddy!

No comments:

Post a Comment