Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Queer Me, Gender Matters/Matters of Gender, and Tucson, Arizona

Whew, it has quickly become a very busy spring.  I just got back from a trip to Tucson, Arizona, where I had the privilege of touring the University of Arizona's photography department and the Center for Creative Photography with my friend and former professor Frank Gohlke, both of which were amazing.  A huge thanks to Frank, as well as to the grad students Daniel Cheek and Christiana Caro, who so generously showed me around.  I can't wait to go back and spend some quality time with the photographs in the collection at the CCP. There was a wonderful portrait show up while I was there called Face to Face: 150 Years of Photographic Portraiture, which included work by Diane Arbus, Southworth and Hawes, Gertrude Kasebier, Edward Weston, Ansel Adams, Cindy Sherman, Barbara Bosworth, and many, many others.  It was truly too much to take in at one time.

Center for Creative Photography lobby (photo from University of Arizona)

Tucson was also quite an experience in and of itself, especially since I have never spent any time in the southwestern part of the country.  The Kartchner Caverns, Mount Lemmon, and the Sonora Desert Museum were all highlights, as was simply experiencing the desert and the completely different speed of life in Tucson.

Sunset from the top of Mount Lemmon

At the Sonora Desert Museum

Back on the East Coast, my photograph Corinne and Travis opened last week in the exhibition Queer Me at the LGBT Center in New York.  Below are a few photos from the exhibition, which is up through March 31st if you happen to be in the NY area.

Hunter O'Hanian of MassArt in front of my photo

Installation shot

Installation shot of my work

Installation shot

Installation shot

I am packing up these three photographs to send to Albright College in Reading, PA for the exhibition Gender Matters/Matters of Gender which opens on March 24th and runs through April 20th.  This exhibit was curated by Judith Tannenbaum, the Curator of Contemporary Art at the Museum of Art at the Rhode Island School of Design.  I am thrilled to be included in this exhibition along with many other wonderful artists, including my friend and fellow Boston artist Ria Brodell.  It has certainly been a busy year for both making and exhibiting work about gender for my project Transcendence.


Self-portrait with mom, 2005

Calvin, 2008

Julee in drag, 2006


And lastly, for the next month, I'll be busy printing for my upcoming exhibition at Gallery Kayafas, which opens on April 15th and runs through May.

Printing the middle panel of "Amiee in her piercing shop" for the show

Hope to see you there!

No comments:

Post a Comment