Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Transcendence- Tony

Tony, 2010


When I realized I was transgender I didn't do cartwheels. I didn't know anyone else like me. I remember going to the beach and crying, wondering if I wanted to live. Wondering, if my life was so unbearable now, how would it be if I came out as trans? 

Then something happened... I’m not sure what. I realized that I had the opportunity to create myself into the person I always wanted to be. I remember asking myself, what do I need to do to become that person? There was a very long list of “to dos.”  I knew that the anger I carried would come in the way of the person I wanted to create, so I worked very hard to let go of the anger. I forgave everyone who abused me, including myself. Once I let go of the anger, my soul filled with compassion. 

I believe that what moved me to be a Transgender Youth Advocate and the Co-founder and President of the Jim Collins Foundation was how my life changed when I finally felt like I had a community and that I wasn't alone anymore. 

I can honestly say that I would not change anything about my past. I truly believe that my past is what created “Tony.” - Tony

No comments:

Post a Comment