Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Photos from Cut, Healed, Mine

The opening of Cut, Healed, Mine: Processing Top Surgery was a wonderful and moving experience.  I am so honored to have work in this important show and to be a part of an amazing queer community here in Boston.  A huge thanks goes to Taan Shapiro for organizing the show and to AndreA of The Meeting Point for giving space for the show to be hung there.

This week has been full of inspiration.  Within a matter of a few days, I was lucky enough to attend this fabulous opening as well as the Dangerous Mammals Tour: Please don't feed or tease the animals, where Ivan Coyote and S. Bear Bergman read their amazing, honest, gut-wrenching writing.  I am so thankful to have a community of my people around me and to have the opportunity to be inspired by the creative work of others in a way that fuels me forward with my own work and in my own life.

I am proud to be queer.  I am proud to be butch.  I am proud to be an artist.  And, I'm proud of my history, of all of the butches and queers who have come before me and paved the way for me to be who I am.  For them, I wear a tattooed star on my left wrist, a reminder of the power and strength of solidarity and the monumental fight it took to begin to pave the way for the younger generation of queers such as myself.  Thank you, gender warriors, past and present, for being true to yourselves and for fighting right alongside me.  You are my people.

Below are some photos from the opening of Cut, Healed, Mine:


Me and Taan, the show's organizer

Mycroft and me

Alex and me

Me and Elizabeth

The crowd listening to the artists speak

My photograph Corinne and Travis

Untitled by Caden Muekiner

Drains on Taan by Laura Evonne Steinman (top) and 
Xander by Haeden Roswell Peaslee (bottom) 

Healing Taan by Laura Evonne Steinman


My photographs Self-portrait with mom (left) and Calvin (right)

Me with my work

No comments:

Post a Comment