Thursday, November 4, 2010

The Archive: The Journal of the Leslie/Lohman Gay Art Foundation

I am thrilled that my image Julee in Drag is featured in an article about the 2010 Great LGBTQ Photo Show in The Archive: The Journal of the Leslie/Lohman Gay Art Foundation.  The author, Enrico Gomez, wrote:

"The gender focus took on a playful edge in Julee in Drag by Jess T. Dugan.  A part of Dugan's (Trans)Gender Series, drag king Julee squints into the camera, mustachioed and James Dean like, oozing a restrained swagger.  From the artist's blog, photographer Dugan shares 'gender sometimes seems to me as a uniform, something malleable.  The pictures of drag kings also sometimes seem that way: a hyper-caricaturized masculinity that individuals can put on and take off.'"

I am especially fond of the phrase "oozing a restrained swagger."  I had never thought about it quite that way before, but I think it is an accurate description of Julee in this particular photograph.

Thanks to the Leslie/Lohman Gay Art Foundation for putting on such an amazing show and for publishing such an amazing journal!





No comments:

Post a Comment