Sunday, March 14, 2010

Rainy Days and.... Darkrooms




There is something perfect about being in the darkroom on a rainy day. Perhaps it's that there is no nice weather calling you outside, and you don't feel like you're missing out on something exciting happening elsewhere. But it seems that it's something beyond that. Though my entire week was hectic and I was pretty exhausted by the time I got home from teaching yesterday, I decided to go into the darkroom and develop a batch of 44 sheets of film. I exposed over 200 sheets, beginning in November, unloaded them into a film box so I could reload the holders and take more, and am literally still making my way through them. I've had a box full, but then shot something new and developed those, and alas those poor negatives from November have sat undeveloped until now. I am nearly done- one more batch should do it.

I am looking forward to seeing all of my new work. It's annoying when you know in your brain what you have shot, and you imagine all of these images that you can't yet see or show to anyone. My recently deeloped film represents a significant part of my new project, so I'm anxious to get them all developed and to see them as prints, not as images in my memory.

I'm going back into the darkroom today for a day of printing. I am grateful to have a quiet day devoted to the darkroom. Though my ventilation fan is loud, I can still faintly hear the rain falling on days like these.

No comments:

Post a Comment