Wednesday, February 10, 2010

"Coupled" Exhibition at Gallery Kayafas


I find some irony in the fact that one of my first posts after starting a blog called "All things black and white" is an announcement for an upcoming exhibition of color photographs. It is actually my only body of work made in color, for the time being.
I am excited to announce the upcoming exhibition of "Coupled," a series of twenty large-format Polaroid photographs of queer couples. The photographs were made between 2006 and 2008, a politically exciting time for the GLBT community in Massachusetts. Through a direct approach, the images portray twenty self-identified same-sex couples against a bold red background. The couples are simultaneously unique and similar, becoming almost specimens of a cultural group through repetition of composition. While the project is documentary in nature, capturing a specific group of couples at a historic time, it also raises universal questions about attraction, love, and the nature of relationships.
The exhibition will be on display from March 4, 2010 through April 10, 2010 with an opening reception on Friday, March 5 from 5:30 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. There will be a second reception on April 2, 2010 as part of the South End’s First Friday openings.
Due to the largely independent nature of my work, I don't often get the chance to collaborate with other artists. Over the past year, I have had the privilege of witnessing and being a part of The WEDLOCK project, a year-long project "confronting perceptions of same-sex marriage through visual, performance, and public art." Additionally, I have known TT and been aware of his work for many years, beginning with our time together at MassArt. When I was putting together this exhibition of "Coupled," I found a unique opportunity for collaboration between my Polaroid images and TT and Michael's unbelievably moving performance. I am not exaggerating when I say that the last one I saw moved me to tears, so I can't wait to witness what they'll do in the space at Gallery Kayafas with the images from "Coupled" hanging on the walls all around them.
Their performance, which is from the upcoming Matrimony section of The WEDLOCK Project, will take place on March 26, 2010 from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m.

No comments:

Post a Comment